Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Poll
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of Malling Photographic Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Malling Photographic Forum on your social bookmarking website

You are not connected. Please login or register

Back up Regieme

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Back up Regieme on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:35 am

Rob on the Parkwood forum has posted a message about losing his pictures when a hard drive broke down without a backup. I was wondering how many other people don't do backups and if you do what is your backup regieme.

I think I'm fairly comprehensive but I would appreciate any comments if I have missed anything.

1) I back up to an external hard drive. This is carried out automatically by a file syncronisation program which periodically syncronises the back up drive with selected folders on my main drive. I cannot remember the program I use (I'm on my work PC now) but I'll post it this evening.

2) I back up 'off site' using 'Carbonite' www.carbonite.com. This costs about $5 per month for unlimited storage and again works in the background backing up selected files, file types and folders to an offsite location over broadband. This takes a very long time when first set up - it took about 10 days when I started but from then on it only backs up new and changed files. It also stores historic files for a period of time so you can recover a file you have amended.

I like the above because once it's set up I don't have to remember to back up, it's all done for me.

Colin

View user profile

2 Re: Back up Regieme on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:50 am

Julia

Admin
I'm now trialling carbonite since a scare this week with my back up drive. It's taking a long time to get everything uploaded but once it's done that is it, very impressed with the concept so far..

I'm a camera geek and proud of it!
View user profile http://westmallingcameraclub.co.uk

3 Re: Back up Regieme on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:52 am

I back up to two hard drives on my mac and if i remember, to an external drive on a PC. I also download to my laptop. Is that overkill?
I also have a battery thingy that kicks in if we have a power cut.

View user profile

4 Re: Back up Regieme on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:55 pm

The file sync program I use is called Allway Sync (http://allwaysync.com). You can download a free version to try it out but to deal with lots of photos you will need the pro version. The pro version is $19.95 so it's quitr cheap.

Dave - make sure you have at least one of your back ups "off-site"

Colin

View user profile

5 Re: Back up Regieme on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Colin, I see that Carbonite is not yet ready for the Mac. I did make CD copies some years ago but when I went to get the pics I couldn't, so they were no good.
I reckon it is unlikely that all my three drives will fail at the same time. but will check out Carbonite again when they have a version for Mac.

View user profile

6 Re: Back up Regieme on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:10 pm

The off site is really for major disaster recovery - Fire, flood or theft.

View user profile

7 Re: Back up Regieme on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:17 pm

Yeh I see, must check it out a bit further.

View user profile

8 Re: Back up Regieme on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:24 am

Colin wrote:The file sync program I use is called Allway Sync (http://allwaysync.com). You can download a free version to try it out but to deal with lots of photos you will need the pro version. The pro version is $19.95 so it's quitr cheap.

Colin,

I've had a quick spin through allwaysync site, looks like a useful app'.

Is sync performed automatically or do you need to set event triggers etc?

Paul

View user profile

9 Re: Back up Regieme on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:54 am

On my setup it is automatic but you can run it manually as well.

View user profile

10 Re: Back up Regieme on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:57 am

Anyone know of something similar for Mac?

View user profile

11 Re: Back up Regieme on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:40 am

Personally, having a slow internet upload speed, online backup is not really possible (although for 7+gigabytes (7000+MB) of free space try Google mail). An external HDD as well as the internal SATA one is all I do. The probability that both fail is so low; and also the very best pictures which I've edited are on countless USB drives.

View user profile

12 Re: Back up Regieme on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:46 am

Yes that is true but as Colin pointed out, external back up in case of fire, theft Ect is desirable.

View user profile

13 Re: Back up Regieme on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:18 am

Carbonite is now available for the Mac...

http://www.carbonite.com/mac/mac.aspx

View user profile

14 Re: Back up Regieme on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:07 am

Something I always bear in mind with photo backups is what happened when we had film - you had the negatives and prints or you had the slide, that was it!!

View user profile

15 Re: Back up Regieme on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:43 am

I'm not going to not back up because I didn't used to be able to! Anyway back in those days I kept the prints at home and the negatives at work. Most of my photos are probably expendable but there are many that are not so I will do everything I can to ensure that if the worst happens I will be able to retrieve them.

Anyway the good thing about my set up is that I have not had to think about back-ups for months... they just happen.

Colin

View user profile

16 Re: Back up Regieme on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:01 pm

Exactly! We didn't worry about our film backups so if a digital auto backup service can do it for us then that is the ideal solution!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum