Malling Photographic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Malling Photographic Forum

Photograph by Don Beevis

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hi everyone
Where do you get your prints from? EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 4:21 am by mouse

» School Visit
Where do you get your prints from? EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 8:02 am by PulpFan

Where do you get your prints from? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 3:21 am by Frank_Irwin

» Judges for Next Competitions
Where do you get your prints from? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 4:07 am by kentishmayde

» Malling Photographic Society on DSLR User Website
Where do you get your prints from? EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 6:27 am by kentishmayde

» Malling Photographic Society is now on DSLR User Website
Where do you get your prints from? EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 5:30 am by kentishmayde

» Malling Photographic Society on DSLR User Website
Where do you get your prints from? EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 5:29 am by kentishmayde

» Photoshop CS4
Where do you get your prints from? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 am by geebis

» hi from dover, kent
Where do you get your prints from? EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am by sapper

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Poll
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Malling Photographic Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Malling Photographic Forum on your social bookmarking website

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where do you get your prints from?

+3
supersam1984
llamnuds
Miranda
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Where do you get your prints from? Empty Where do you get your prints from? Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Miranda

Miranda

I know there are a lot of people who print their own pictures, on their own printers.
But I was wondering if there where people who let other people (like in a shop) do the printing.

So for this people...
Where do you order your prints? (like for competitions...)
What is the best shop for the best or cheapest prints?

2Where do you get your prints from? Empty Re: Where do you get your prints from? Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:15 am

llamnuds

I try not to print anything if I can help it - generally it's an expensive process however you look at it.

However I signed up with (HP) Snapfish recently as they had a promotion on, a cheap offer, they were offereing up to 50 prints at 4 inches by 6 inches for 1pence each.

On top of that when you sign up you get 20 prints (4" x 6") for free!
So that's good to examine the quality of their work - which seems to be very good, by the way.

They do other sizes of prints and an array of other stuff like photos on mugs, mouse-mats etc.

I've not entered any competitions yet, I'll probably (but not definitely) only enter into competitions that are projected. Seems unnecessary and expensive to have to print things out in this day and age.

Cheers,
Shaun

http://www.flickr.com/photos/llamnuds/

3Where do you get your prints from? Empty Re: Where do you get your prints from? Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:07 am

Miranda

Miranda

Ok, thanks. I'm not really planning to print all my pictures...
But I like to enter a competition, just to hear what other people (judge) thinking and to try.

I ordered 2 weeks ago some photo's at the Tesco, for free, because I was a new member...But I was not really happy with the quality.

But these pictures where only for my 'picturewall', so it didn't matter the quality was bad.

4Where do you get your prints from? Empty www.bonusprint.co.uk Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:33 pm

supersam1984

supersam1984

Hi Maranda,
I get my printing from www.bonusprint.co.uk
They do i think all sizes of prints and also do jigsaws, mugs keywings etc..

There a good price and are excellent quality

5Where do you get your prints from? Empty Re: Where do you get your prints from? Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Gregory

Personally I use photobox. Good quality and good prices although their photobooks can take ages to arrive!

http://www.talkinginwhispers.com

6Where do you get your prints from? Empty Re: Where do you get your prints from? Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:56 am

sapper

sapper

I use Photobox. If the quality is not good, I ring them and they reprint without question. Maybe you should complain to Tesco Miranda.

7Where do you get your prints from? Empty Re: Where do you get your prints from? Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:04 am

Miranda

Miranda

Hi,

I ordered some pictures at PhotoBoots.com. I wanted a nice picture (enlargement) for Henk's birthday, the pictures were send to Holland, by mail.
Again I was very disapointed by the quality...The pictures all look very dark. I looked on the website of Boots and they say that it's probably my screen that is to bright, and the screen doesn't show my pictures on the right way.

Here is what the website says:
Colour calibration

An image that looks great on your computer screen should look equally wonderful in print. If you’re finding this isn’t the case it could be down to the colour calibration of your monitor. This can cause overly bright or dark prints, or unrealistic colours compared to your original. Even if you’re not aware of this, properly calibrating your monitor is still a good way of ensuring impressive results.

How can I fix this? And can I complain or is it my own fault?

Bye bye, greetz from Holland (last 2 days... Crying or Very sad )

8Where do you get your prints from? Empty Re: Where do you get your prints from? Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:20 am

PaulD

Miranda

Adjusting the monitor brightness / contrast settings may help.
The web page http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/viewing.html has a very basic guide on how to set up you monitor. It's a quick check, using a greyscale. Use the top scale (in the greybox) - the others are there to show you poor examples.
Adjust your brightness / contrast monitor levels try and get a setting that allows you to see all the steps between black and white. (http://www.ephotozine.com/ has a similar greyscale at the bottom of all its pages).

Try the above first before committing to further expense, full monitor calibration requires additional hardware and can be expensive - I've personally not used any, other members may have!

Paul

9Where do you get your prints from? Empty Re: Where do you get your prints from? Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:43 am

Colin

Colin

Miranda

I have a Colorvision 'Spyder' to calibrate my monitor. The dafault settings of most monitors is too bright and saturated and calibrating your monitor either manually as Paul suggests above, or using a Colorimeter really does make a difference. If you don't get a satisfactory result using Paul's method, you are welcome to borrow my Spyder. It's the cheapest version but it does a good job for me.
You are supposed to re-calibrate the monitor every few weeks but I have to say I have not noticed a great deal of change when I recalibrate every few months.
Let me know if you want me to bring it along to a meeting. Unfortunately I cannot come next Tuesday but I will be there the week after. It's easy to use. Just install the software and follow the instructions on screen.

Colin

10Where do you get your prints from? Empty Re: Where do you get your prints from? Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:50 am

Miranda

Miranda

Hi, Thanks for the advice...
First I looked on the website and I looked at the Quick Check Test Images, I can't find anything wrong with my screen. It isn't too dark or too bright conform the website.
Maybe I understand it wrong?

I never had a lot of problems woth printing pictures, this is the 2nd time (both in England... in Holland I never have problems...).

Colin, I am at the club next 2 weeks, so maybe I can try your program.
Thanks!

Bye, Miranda

11Where do you get your prints from? Empty Re: Where do you get your prints from? Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:01 pm

Miranda

Miranda

Hi Colin,

I tried the program and it's a big difference! BUT....I maked pictures today and I saw them on my computer, and some of the colours are really strange. The red is really red, and 'jumps out of the picture'. The same problem with pink and purple.

Can I bring my laptop Tuesday and can you then maybe look if I did something wrong?

Bye bye, Miranda

12Where do you get your prints from? Empty Re: Where do you get your prints from? Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:08 am

Colin

Colin

Hi Miranda

Bring your laptop along. Hopefully there will be someone who knows more about it than I do!

Colin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]